If you have elderly parents living in a senior living community, it’s important to stay engaged with them and ensure that they are staying active and engaged as well. This can not only help to improve their quality of life, but it can also help to prevent feelings of loneliness and isolation. Here are some engagement gift ideas and activities that can help you connect with your elderly parents in their senior living community:
- Technology gifts: Many older adults are not as familiar with technology as younger generations, but there are plenty of tools and devices that can help them stay connected with loved ones and stay entertained. Consider getting your parents a tablet or a smartphone with a plan that allows them to make calls, send texts, and browse the internet. You can also set them up with video chat apps like Skype or Zoom, which can help you stay connected even when you can’t be there in person.
- Board games and puzzles: Board games and puzzles are great ways to pass the time and keep the brain active. Consider purchasing a few of your parents’ favorite games or puzzles, or try introducing them to something new. You can also visit your parents and play a game together to add an element of social interaction.
- Books and magazines: Reading is a great way for seniors to stay engaged and stimulated. Consider gifting your parents with a subscription to a magazine or two, or a selection of books that they can enjoy. You can also visit your parents and read to them or discuss the book with them.
- Art supplies: Many senior living communities offer art classes or have designated art areas where residents can express themselves creatively. Consider purchasing some art supplies such as paints, markers, or clay for your parents to use. This can be a great way for them to relax and express themselves creatively.
- Exercise equipment: Exercise is important for seniors to maintain their physical health, and it can also be a great way to stay engaged and active. Consider purchasing some lightweight dumbbells or a yoga mat for your parents to use in their room or in the community’s exercise area.
- Movie nights: Movie nights are a great way to spend quality time with your elderly parents. Consider setting up a movie night in their room or in the community’s common area, and bring along some popcorn and snacks. You can also consider streaming a movie or show that you can both watch together over video chat.
- Outings: If your parents are able, consider taking them out on a special outing. This could be to a local museum, park, or even just out for lunch or dinner. This can be a great way to spend quality time together and create new memories.
Overall, the key to engaging with your elderly parents in a senior living community is to find activities and gift ideas that are meaningful and enjoyable for them. Whether it’s through technology, board games, art, exercise, or outings, there are plenty of ways to stay connected and ensure that your parents are staying active and engaged. If you or a loved one is looking to understand more about Assisted Living or Senior Living look no further than Avista Magnolia.