WHEN A BELOVED parent or grandparent’s struggles with Alzheimer’s or dementia make home care difficult, memory care is a wonderful option to consider. It’s is a form of senior living that ensures specialized, intensive care for those with memory issues.
What’s Unique About Memory Care?
In a memory care community such as ours in Sun City West, AZ, the atmosphere is designed with the residents’ peace of mind as a high priority. The staff provide meals and assist with personal care like in an assisted living facility, but they also have special training to deal with the unique issues associated with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
Residents in memory care receive more frequent check-ins and are given extra structure and support throughout the day. Staff ensures that residents are getting to their meals and attending activities. The facilities are equipped with alarmed doors, enclosed outdoor spaces, and elevator codes to keep residents from wandering and getting lost.
Is Your Loved One a Candidate for Memory Care?
The early stages of Alzheimer’s or dementia don’t always interfere with a person’s independence, particularly if they receive in-home care and support. Here are a few questions you can use to determine whether it’s time to consider memory care:
- Is the person safe in their home?
- Is the person’s health at risk with their current level of care?
- Are their care needs more than the current caregiver can meet?
- Is their care causing too much strain in the other areas of the caregiver’s life?
- Could the person benefit from the structure and social interaction offered by a memory care facility?
What to Look For in a Memory Care Facility
It’s always important to research any facility you’re considering for a loved one. Here are a few key features to look for in a memory care facility:
- Clean and pleasant layout with clear labeling, an enclosed outdoor area, and happy residents.
- Specially trained staff who meet their residents’ needs quickly
- Engaging activities and good meal routines.
- Availability of additional medical care for other conditions.
Make sure to visit the facility and participate in some of the activities to get a good feel for the place. Don’t be afraid to ask all of your questions.
Learn About Senior Living’s Memory Care Services
At Avista Sun City West, AZ, we pride ourselves in being able to provide seniors who struggle with dementia or Alzheimer’s a comfortable and engaging community with our memory care services. If you’d like to learn more about what we have to offer your loved one, please get in touch with us. You can also learn more from our business page. Just make sure to check the map before you head our way!